The Chief Lending Officer plays a critical role in fulfilling our client’s mission of “impacting and changing lives.”
Your primary responsibility will be to drive their strategic intention to improve members’ financial lives. They will rely on you to manage and grow their loan portfolio, collaborating with the Executive Team and Board to create an organizational strategy and execute this strategy with the lending and collections teams.
As a member of the Executive Team, you will also be responsible for leading the culture of our organization, in conjunction with the rest of the Executive Team.
This role requires you to be comfortable with high levels of accountability for results across business units and be able to influence leaders at all levels to produce results. You’ll need to ensure all loan programs and resources are used efficiently and effectively to aid in the attainment of the credit union’s goals and objectives.
You’ll also plan, coordinate and administer the activities of the collections department.
As Chief Lending Officer, you will oversee the lending, collections and payment solutions teams and drive loan growth in service of the mission. The essential functions of your role include:
- Providing strategic directions for all phases of lending and collections, including consumer, mortgage, and business products.
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures consistent with laws and regulations and in support of the credit union’s goals and strategic direction.
- Preparing reports as directed by the Board and President/CEO. Attend Board Meetings and deliver reports/updates on Lending and the Payment Solutions department.
- Supporting and actively participating in all department related credit union training sessions.
- Leading department communication processes, to include regular staff meetings and liaison with other business functions and community groups as appropriate.
- Maintaining knowledge of client’s products and services, operational policies and procedures, by-laws, and philosophy.
- Researching and evaluating the feasibility of new lending products. Remain cognizant of changes within the economic environment and the potential impact of these changes on member borrowing trends.
- Managing the credit union’s indirect, consumer, mortgage, and commercial loan portfolios in support of the credit union’s goals and strategic direction.
- Developing loan underwriting criteria consistent with the credit union’s risk tolerance.
- Continuously monitoring compliance with underwriting criteria and analyze the effectiveness of established criteria to mitigate losses and support the credit union’s lending objectives.
- Remaining abreast of legislative and regulatory initiatives and analyze potential impacts on the credit union’s lending operations.
- Working closely with auditors and examiners to ensure the credit union is in compliance with prudent lending methodologies as articulated in various laws and regulations and to appropriately address identified weaknesses.
- Ensuring all consumer and portfolio mortgage loans conform to internal documentation and servicing standards as well as all applicable lending laws and regulations.
- Ensuring that lending policies and procedures reflect external rules and regulations and are effectively communicated and implemented by all staff.
- Increasing the productivity and quality of loan originators by working with peers across business functions to improve internal processes.
- Providing a disciplined approach to managing production and risk in an environment of centralized lending authority.
- Performing other duties as required for the efficient operation of the Lending & Payment Solutions department.
- Developing and implementing initiatives to garner efficiencies throughout the lending and collection process.
- Monitoring and analyzing delinquent loans and formulate recommendations for loan modification or charge-off consistent with prudent lending and collections practices and applicable laws and regulations.
- Drafting responses to internal audits of the credit union’s collection quality and consistency.
- Writing and administering department internal control procedures and mini audits to ensure collection effort and documentation are maintained at adequate levels.
- Establishing goals and work plans for the collections department consistent with credit union goals and objectives.
- Writing and analyzing required department productivity delinquency and charge-off reports for distribution.
Experience and Education:
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have exceptional judgment and decision-making skills. Other helpful strengths include:
- Loan/Credit Performance
- Policy Compliance
- Problem Solving
- Strategic Planning
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5 to 10 years of Executive level experience and/or training.
- 5 to 10 years of related experience at a financial institution.
- In-depth knowledge of real estate, consumer lending and servicing, and collections.
- In-depth experience analyzing portfolio credit risk and loss mitigation strategies.
- Strong verbal, written, and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com